What is Product of the Year?
How is Product of the Year different from other awards?
Focus on Innovation. POY exists to help guide shoppers to the best new innovative products as determined by consumers just like them. For winning products, this is not only an acknowledgement for innovation in the eyes of the industry, but a proven ROI tool.
100% Consumer-Voted. There are no experts or lab coats involved. Products are voted on entirely by a nationally representative sample of South African consumers.
100% Independent. The competing products have no other interest in being included other than to put their product to the test of consumers. There are no advertising discounts or packaged deals that often come with magazine awards.
100% Transparent. Brands can participate only if they enter and once a brand wins, the award is theirs to use. We don’t “nominate” brands or ask for a percentage of their sales if they win.
Nationally Representative. The 5,000 consumers who vote are independently recruited by Nielsen to represent the national grocery shopping population. These people are not affiliated with magazine subscriptions and are 100% bias-free.
25 Years of History. Founded 25 years ago in France, Product of the Year has long been the standard of consumer confidence around the world.
28 Countries. POY is a powerful concept that works in every market. Over the past 25 years, we’ve grown to 28 countries and are still growing. In the last two years alone we made our debut in South Africa, USA, India, Canada and Australia.
Nation’s Largest Study. With 5,000 South Africans voting on products, POY conducts the nation’s largest consumer survey on innovation. Our research partner Nielsen conducts this study with a representative sample of the South African population – therefore reflecting the opinions of the nation rather than a group of subscribers to one magazine or volunteers.
What products qualify?
If you have a great product, it doesn’t matter if it’s been out almost the full year or is just about to launch.
If you’re not sure, give us a call and we can help figure out if you should be entering.
How do you define innovation?
How are the winners determined?
Can I enter more than one product?
When can I enter?
What are the categories?
We work with A.C. Nielsen to make sure only comparable products compete with each other and there are never less than 2 or more than 6 products in a category.
How much does it cost?
What are the benefits of winning?
At the very least all winners are guaranteed the following:
- Use of the award seal on any communications for one full year and inclusion into POY press release
- All finalists receive Nielsen research report regardless of outcome
On top of that, being able to use the seal allows you to:
- Use it in consumer-facing marketing campaigns to drive trial
- Use it in PR outreach as “new” news to secure media coverage
- Use it with salesforce and retail partners to increase visibility and distribution
- Use it in industry relations to support your company’s repuation for innovation
- Use it internally to boost morale and set example
And this is why we know it works:
- 24-year track history across the globe
- 10-15% average sales increase reported by winner
- 135% over-year sales increase reported by 2005 Hair care winner Pantene
- 120% year-over-year sales increase reported by 2006 Hair Care winner Herbal Essences
- 15% sales increase reported by 2005 Facial care winner Neutrogena
- 106.4% sales increase reported by 2007 Spain Dishwashing winner Calgons